Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Monster Mom

My girls have a board hanging by their bedroom door. Every night after I tuck them in, they ask if I will draw them a picture - so I usually doodle a few scribbles, call it good and sign it by (drawing) heart -U-2, then we are good for the night.

Tonight they asked me and at first I said, "No." They begged so I did a quick 3 second doodle, popped the pen back into place without signing it and said, "That's all you get tonight" and I walked out of the room to tuck in the boys.

Minutes later Dewie (my 4 year old) calls me back asking for a drink. I noticed Arlee (my 7 year old) hiding her head and unusually quiet.
So I asked her, "What's the matter?"  (in my..."I'm tired, what is your problem" voice)....she didn't answer, so I climbed the bunk and pulled back the blankets to find her quietly crying.

What a heart-breaking moment for a mom.

Naturally I softened my tone and asked again, "Whats wrong, buddy?"

At first she didn't want to talk, but after a little coaxing she finally said, "You were just kind of mean today...and you wouldn't even draw our picture and say you loved us before we went to sleep."

yeah, it might have seemed like a stupid drawing to me.
I know I felt checked out and was tired from the day.
I knew I had been a monster all day long.
I was impatient, bossy, nagging....you name it.
But instead of ignoring it, now was my chance to correct it all.

I had a little heart to heart chat with each of my kiddos, apologizing to them and reassuring them how much I truly loved them and what great kids they are.
               -------------------------------------------------------------
We as moms are going to have off days. That's okay. Its okay to let your children see your weaknesses, but you must take the time to reassure them that they are indeed YOUR weaknesses...not theirs. Children tend to think that parents can be agitated and angry because of things they do.....make sure your children never carry your stress and burdens.

Because you woke up cranky, because your husband is gone a lot, because your baby is sick and not happy, because your house isn't in order....there is no excuse for not showing more love and expressing "I love you" more often to our children.


Take time to talk lovingly to them about your emotions during a rough day. Make sure they understand its just you having a crazy mom moment  :-) ....and you aren't perfect.
Children truly are amazing - they are quick to forgive, they are patient and more understanding than we think...and most of all, they are full of love.

NOW GO HUG AND KISS YOUR KIDS!
Tomorrow is a  new day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment