Friday, July 8, 2011

A Life Lesson from a Loaf of bread

I stood in the checkout line today...watching my perfect, fluffy loaf of bread make its way to the register where it was carelessly scanned then tossed down to the bagger. Who roughly snatched it up, but only after the conveyor had tumbled it a few times, stuffed it half way into a sack with a couple canned items then hucked it into the cart, topping it with a couple dozen eggs.

The girl then smiled, asked if I needed help out (Ummmm no thank you, you've done enough damage already)....I decline but thank them anyway, then rush out to my car where I attempted to rescue my bread, while trying to reshape it I found myself frustrated and muttering "Unbelievable!" to myself.

On the drive home I tried to figure out why I didn't say something....I stood there witnessing it, knowing full well the outcome.  Why hadn't I stopped it before the damage was done?? Frankly...the only answer I had was because I was afraid to speak up.

LIFE LESSON:

If that loaf of bread was a family member or dear friend, would I idly stand by watching their destruction? Would I be brave enough to speak up, to voice my concern. To try to protect and prevent damage.

Once its damaged, a loaf never really is the same. Your investment in a loaf a bread is minimal...but your investment in the life of a loved one is priceless. Making it more of a reason to step up and say something.

If your child or loved one is unknowingly being pulled by the adversary. If they innocently can't see the dangers around them. If they appear to be headed for danger..... Don't be afraid to speak up - Do what you can to protect and possibly rescue your loved one.

Step up and say something even if it makes you a meanest mom ever....at least you wont have any regrets or what ifs.
----------------------------------------------------------
You might be thinking..."that was a stretch" or "wow, all that from a stupid, smashed loaf of bread?"

And my answer to that is....WHY NOT? There are life lessons to be learned everywhere, everyday.

---------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. wow Jenn your always the one to teach.... Thanks I love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought tears to my eyes. Sounds like my house more often than I would like, especially with the stress of Nick in Iraq. Thanks Jen. I needed that. :) Tami

    ReplyDelete