Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The white lies of Christmas

Auh Christmas...the time of year when little white lies run ramped in our house.

I find it amusing that we lecture to our kids about being truthful and that telling the truth the first time instead of being caught in a lie will always bring lesser punishment and heartbreak.

However as Moms, we know there will be moments when these little white lies can sometimes save our little ones from their own self-punishment and heartbreak.

For example....

The other night, after we arrived home from Christmas shopping with the kiddos, Dad and the girls gathered up the wrapping supplies and started to head up stairs to wrap the gifts they have bought for the family.
(Now it wouldn't be a night of wrapping if there wasn't a few 'I want to wrap that!' arguments from the girls.)

As they were headed up the stairs I hear Arlee begin to argue with her sister by saying "No Dewie, I get to wrap it." Then Dewie pipped in and said, "DAAAAaaad, Arlee says she's going to wrap it but I want to wrap moms Neck....." Then her little voice trailed off - realizing she had just blown the Christmas surprise.

Immediately Arlee got upset and cried out, "Thanks a lot Dewie now mom knows!" Then Dewie ran off crying in the other direction.

Thinking fast I walked upstairs, called them in together, gave them a hug and said, "Hey, accidents happen, that's why we shouldn't fight over silly things right? And its okay that I know that I'm getting Napkins for Christmas (honestly napkins was the only 'N' word I could think of at the time) I have never been given napkins and I'm really looking forward to opening them."

They both looked at me confused for a split second then instant joy returned as they realized I had heard the word NAPKIN..instead of NECKLACE :)

As the days have drawn nearer to Christmas the glorious splendor of the notorious Napkin has also grown. It has gone from being regular old napkins - to being napkins made of Christmas colors - from Christmas colored napkins, to napkins with glitter and Christmas tree stars on them -from a glittery, star covered Christmas napkin, to glittery star covered napkins with tv screens on them so we can watch TV while we eat - from a flat screened, glittery star covered Christmas napkin to a deluxe tv screened, glittery star covered napkin with a built in house alarm so if anyone breaks in during Christmas the napkin's alarm will sound.

YES-- this little white lie has snowballed into a gigantic wondrous fib...but hey...that's what we allow sometimes as moms, right?! :)

...and I'm not going to lie -- I'm looking forward to opening my "Napkins" on Christmas morning and seeing the joy on their little faces, knowing I had helped to keep their Christmas secret live in their hearts and hopefully made this season bright.

 MY WISH FOR YOU IS THAT YOUR DAYS MIGHT BE FILLED WITH THE SIMPLE JOYS AND WONDERS OF THE SEASON...AND MOST OF ALL MAY YOUR DAYS BE FILLED WITH THE COMPANY OF THOSE WHO MEAN THE MOST TO YOU!  
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!





2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome!! I love your insights, Jen. Thanks for sharing them with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I read all of your posts, you have a gift with words. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete