Sunday, August 7, 2011

Stepping outside your comfort

I have some issues when it comes to camping....tent camping....with 4 little kids...in dirt....eating out of the back of my car...sharing my table with chipmunks...not bathing...and being forced to use stinky, toxic, fly infested, hole in the ground, toilets. I was a bit reluctant and honestly struggled to look forward to my 6 day camping trip in Great Basin National Park on the Utah/Nevada boarder.
For starters it was a nightmare to pack up bedding, food and clothing; cram it all into a minivan while leaving enough comfortable space for 6 breathing bodies. I'll admit it....I was annoyed and possibly not my pleasant self. :-)

But after I had vented all morning and gave a few notorious "you have to be kidding me" sighs, we were on the road. As we drove and as I watched my hubby with perma-grin, tell us about all the cool things we were going to see and do. As I listened to my kiddos squeal with excitement, I decided this week was not about me and that I would do my best to not allow my germaphobic, systematic insanity interfere with their week of fun.

I challenged myself to step outside my comfort zone and while doing so, try to relax a bit...if possible. To my surprise...I ended up having the absolute BEST time of my life! I even found myself laughing with my hubby as we soaked through while struggling to drape a tarp in dim headlamp light over our tent on the third night of down pouring rain.

It made me wonder how much unexpected joy I have already missed by being a house hermit. If I had known how much laughter and memories awaited, I would  have changed my attitude and been more adventurous years ago. I have done other camp outs, but because of my attitude I haven't enjoyed one as much as this.

How long has it been since you've stepped out of your routine and comfort?

Take a chance, change the attitude and do something out of the ordinary today!

(See more pictures of the camp trip on our family blog thecollardgreens.blogspot.com)

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you have fangs in that photo. I'm a little scared to camp with you now, I'll admit it. We'll skip camping during a full moon, just FYI.

    ;) Just teasing. (Sort of)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of thought my fangs were scary too -- I hate the whole vampire twilight craze so you can image how excited I was to know I looked like one. :-)

    ReplyDelete