Saturday, October 8, 2011

Its sounds like...

A while back I had company over. They spent the afternoon with us and by evening, after I had finally settled my crazy crew down in their beds, I sat down next to our guest on my couch and they breathed an exhausted sigh and ask, "Is it always this crazy around here?" (odd, why were they exhausted? Shouldn't I be the worn out one?) I smiled back and said, "This isn't crazy, this is every day fun."

Maybe they were referring to the blaring voices of my girls as they sang and danced to their favorite songs down stairs.

Maybe they were referring to the clicketty clack chatter of my boys and their WHOOoo WHooo sounds as they pushed their trains around our feet as we sat around the table chatting after dinner.

Maybe they were referring to the squeals and giggles from tickles, the ruckus of wrestling and chasing each other from room to room.

Maybe it was the fact that more often than I would like to admit one kid was coming up to me whining their complaints about what someone else had done or frankly wasn't doing.

Maybe it was the kerplunk kerplunk of piano keys from inventive, beautiful music played by a 3 year old and a tip toeing, stretched out, one year old who could only reach a few conflicting notes.

Maybe to others it could sound like racket, commotion, disorder, mayhem or simple chaos.

But to me....It Sounds Like HOME,

I'm grateful for the noise that rebounds off the walls of my home, the good and the bad...I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

2 comments:

  1. Love this Jen! My house is always loud too, I'll try and remember more that it's natural and not try to yell over the natives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had some one say to me after haveing to leave a event alittle early cuz I had a sleepy little boy they said how do you ever have any fun. at first I was offended but I think its funny cuz I have more fun being with my sleepy little boy and with my kids then being apart from them. I was like I have lots of fun how rude!

    ReplyDelete