Monday, January 9, 2012

Just a little crazy in the head

Its one thing to joke about being crazy in the head -- Its another to actually prove it to be true, and I have accomplished that very feat just today.

I went about my normal routine...trala la...typical Monday. Sent kids to school, exercised, cleaned the house from my Sunday slacking and then set an appointment in the afternoon for my 5 year old - thinking a 2 o'clock appointment should give me plenty of time to get home for the school bus.
I dropped the boys off at the neighbors and headed to town. We got out of the appointment at 2:30 - stop in to get a few groceries at the store and to gas up the car. After I had casually completed those tasks, I sent a message to my dear neighbor at 2:45 to let her know that I was on my way.

She responds back with -"Sounds great, we are doing fine. Did Arlee have somewhere to go?"


Then, in a wave of complete panic, I realize - MONDAY! Early out at School! Which meant Arlee had been home alone now for 5 minutes already, probably in a panic, wondering where in the world her mom and siblings were. 


I immediately phoned my neighbor back, explained that I was an IDIOT and forgot about early out Mondays (which are EVERY Monday - need I remind you. You think I would remember.) She said not a problem she would run down and get Arlee for me.


I hung up - said a quick prayer and then drove like a crazed mad women the 13 miles back home. I arrived at my neighbors in record time :) picked up my kids - while feeling like a complete loser, thanked her, then headed for home sweet home.


Once back at our house I asked Arlee, "Did it worry you when I wasn't home." She then proceeded to tell me her tale:

After getting off at the bus stop she snuck up to the house intending to doorbell ditch me - she said she ding-donged then ran and hid, waited...no answer, so she did it again...ding-dong, run and hide...nothing (I know, sad huh). So then she tried the door, it was locked, she knocked....still no answer. So she went through the side gate to the back patio - fought through 2 excited dogs to get to the back door, went inside, called out - searched all rooms then said she sat down and started to worry and started to cry. She then said she felt the prompting to pray -- so she did. She asked for comfort and to know what to do and she said as soon as she finished the prayer she thought - 'check the garage', she did and saw that the van was gone and realized I must be out somewhere, so she wrote a note "Dear Mom, when you get home I'm at Kaylee's" (her BFFs). But before she could walk out the door my hero neighbor had knocked and taken her safely to her house.

At the close of her story, Arlee proceeded to tell me that she had the thought yesterday that one of these days she would come home and I would be gone - out doing something...she said she knew that was the Holy Ghost preparing her yesterday for the curious events of today. She then added,"Yeah, and after I prayed today I felt comforted by remembering you were just crazy in the head." :)



I'm really grateful for a brilliant 8 year old who followed her promptings to stop and say a prayer -- And I'm grateful for the reassurance she received that her mom would never intentionally forget about her...and if it ever happens its only because her mom's crazy in the head.

1 comment:

  1. Jenn - I think we have ALL had those days! (I frequently say I'm going senile quite a bit early, actually!) That is such a sweet story, though. You can definitely give yourself a pat on the back - or several - for doing LOTS of things right over the years so that Arlee was prepared for your momentary lapse in memory on a very busy "mom" day. That's one for the journal, for sure!

    ReplyDelete